Subject: Stop Internet Censorship!
From: David Warner <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 12:03:53 -0500

This is obviously an off-topic post, but the Internet censorship issue 
will affect all of us....if you care about this then PLEASE read on...

> CAMPAIGN TO STOP THE NET CENSORSHIP LEGISLATION IN CONGRESS
>>
>>    On Tuesday December 12, 1995, Join With Hundreds of Thousands
>>                  Of Your Fellow Internet Users In
>>
>>                  A NATIONAL INTERNET DAY OF PROTEST
>>
>>      PLEASE WIDELY REDISTRIBUTE THIS DOCUMENT WITH THIS BANNER INTACT
>>                REDISTRIBUTE ONLY UNTIL December 20, 1995
>>________________________________________________________________________
>>CONTENTS
>>        Internet Day of Protest: Tuesday December 12, 1995
>>        What You Can Do Now
>>        List of Participating Organizations
>>________________________________________________________________________
>>INTERNET DAY OF PROTEST:  TUESDAY DECEMBER 12, 1995
>>
>>Outrageous proposals to censor the Internet demand that the Internet
>>Community take swift and immediate action. We must stand up and let
>>Congress know that we will not tolerate their attempts to destroy this
>>medium! Please join hundreds of thousands of your fellow citizens in a
>>national day of protest on Tuesday December 12, 1995.
>>
>>As you know, on Wednesday December 6, 1995, the House Conference
>>Committee on Telecommunications Reform voted to impose far reaching and
>>unconstitutional "indecency" restrictions on the Internet and other
>>interactive media, including large commercial online services (such as
>>America Online, Compuserve, and Prodigy) and smaller Internet Service
>>Providers such as Panix, the Well, Echo, and Mindvox.
>>
>>These restrictions threaten the very existence of the Internet and
>>interactive media as a means of free expression, education, and
>>commerce.  If enacted, the Internet as we know it will never be the
>>same.
>>
>>Libraries will not be able to put any books online that might
>>offend a child somewhere.  No "Catcher in the Rye" or "Ulysses" on the net.
>>Internet Service Providers could face criminal penalties for allowing
>>children to subscribe to their Internet Services, forcing many  small
>>companies to simply refuse to sell their services to anyone under 18. Worst
>>of all, everything you say and publish on the net will have to be "dumbed
>>down" to that which is acceptable to a child.
>>
>>As Internet users, we simply must not allow this assault against the
>>Internet and our most basic freedoms go unchallenged.
>>
>>On Tuesday December 12, the organizations below are urging you to
>>join us in a NATIONAL DAY OF PROTEST. The goal is to flood key members of
>>the House and Senate with phone calls, faxes and email with the message
>>that the Internet community WILL NOT TOLERATE Congressional attempts to
>>destroy the Internet, limit our freedoms and trample on our rights.
>
>>   Sample email:
>>
>>        The Senate conferees are considering ways to protect children
>>        from inappropriate material on the Internet.  A vote for either
>>        the House or Senate proposals will result in the destruction of
>>        the Internet as a viable medium for free expression, education,
>>        commerce.  Libraries will not be able to put their entire book
>>        collections online.  Everyday people like me will risk massive
>>        fines and prison sentences for public discussions someone s
>>        somewhere might consider "indecent".
>>
>>        There are other, less restrictive ways to protect children from
>>        objectionable material online.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - send email to - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>- - - -
>         R AZ McCain, John
>>        [email-masked]
> >      D KY Ford, Wendell H.
>>        [email-masked]
> >      R MT Burns, Conrad R.
>>        [email-masked]
>>      D SC Hollings, Ernest F.
>>        [email-masked]
>>      R SD Pressler, Larry
>>        [email-masked]
>>      R WA Gorton, Slade
>>        [email-masked]
>>      D WV Rockefeller, John D.
>>        [email-masked]
>
> Gingrich, Newt (R)
>                [email-masked]
>  Conyers Jr., John (D)
>                       [email-masked]
>
>>4. Forward this alert to all of your wired friends.
>>________________________________________________________________________
>>LIST OF PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATIONS
>>
>>In order to use the net more effectively, several organizations have
>>joined forces on a single Congressional net campaign to stop the
>>Communications Decency Act.
>>
>>
>>American Civil Liberties Union * American Communication Association *
>>American Council for the Arts * Arts & Technology Society * Association
>>of Alternative Newsweeklies * biancaTroll productions * Boston
>>Coalition for Freedom of Expression * Californians Against Censorship
>>Together * Center For Democracy And Technology * Centre for Democratic
>>Communications * Center for Public Representation * Citizen's Voice -
>>New Zealand * Cloud 9 Internet *Computer Communicators Association *
>>Computel Network Services * Computer Professionals for Social
>>Responsibility * Cross Connection * Cyber-Rights Campaign * CyberQueer
>>Lounge * Dorsai Embassy * Dutch Digital Citizens' Movement * ECHO
>>Communications Group, Inc. * Electronic Frontier Canada * Electronic
>>Frontier Foundation * Electronic Frontier Foundation - Austin *
>>Electronic Frontiers Australia * Electronic Frontiers Houston *
>>Electronic Frontiers New Hampshire * Electronic Privacy Information
>>Center * Feminists For Free Expression * First Amendment Teach-In *
>>Florida Coalition Against Censorship * FranceCom, Inc. Web Advertising
>>Services * Friendly Anti-Censorship Taskforce for Students * Hands
>>Off!  The Net * Inland Book Company * Inner Circle Technologies, Inc. *
>>Inst. for Global Communications * Internet On-Ramp, Inc. * Internet
>>Users Consortium * Joint Artists' and Music Promotions Political Action
>>Committee * The Libertarian Party * Marijuana Policy Project *
>>Metropolitan Data Networks Ltd. * MindVox * MN Grassroots Party *
>>National Bicycle Greenway * National Campaign for Freedom of Expression
>>* National Coalition Against Censorship * National Gay and Lesbian Task
>>Force * National Public Telecomputing Network * National Writers Union
>>* Oregon Coast RISC * Panix Public Access Internet * People for the
>>American Way * Republican Liberty Caucus * Rock Out Censorship *
>>Society for Electronic Access * The Thing International BBS Network *
>>The WELL * Voters Telecommunications Watch
>
>>________________________________________________________________________
>>        End Alert
>>========================================================================
>>